Wednesday 8 August 2018

Eastbourne Running Day 2018

On 1st July 2018, I decided to venture slightly further afield than usual, to the Eastbourne Classic Bus Running Day.

Travelling to Eastbourne

Upon checking the journey planner the day before I left, I found that the District Line (and, subsequently, the c2c) wasn't running from Upminster to Embankment. Shuttles were running between Barking and Liverpool Street, but a better way to do this was to catch the bus to Romford before heading to Stratford by TFL Rail - or, as it turned out in the morning, Greater Anglia. Upon arrival at Stratford, it was a short walk to the Jubilee line for the trip to Canada Water, before changing for the Overground to New Cross Gate then the Southern train for the journey through to Purley. From there, I had a very long time to wait as I'd made the train before I thought I did and everything is at a 30 minute frequency that early in the morning. 09:20 was the departure time for RF600's trip to Eastbourne and my train arrived at around 8:40.

FEEDER SERVICE (PURLEY - EASTBOURNE) - RF600, NLE600

A rather long journey from Purley!
After a quick check that everyone was on board (and a comedic, aeroplane-style announcement), we departed, one short of the amount we anticipated. Then it was around 45 minutes of delightful countryside we took a quick stop at East Grinstead to load up with a few more passengers and have a quick comfort break at Sainsbury's.
Some mid-route fresh air!
A quick stop and then we were off again, along the rather pleasant A22 and some other roads for the final hour and a half stint to Eastbourne. The journey was relatively uneventful, as it was just a feeder service. It was at this sort of time that I was thinking that I should've got the train, because we ended up arriving closer to 11:30 than 11:10, meaning that everyone on the bus ended up only having around 5 hours instead of the previously advertised 5 and a half. However, this was expected as the owner expressed his doubts about timing at the start of the trip. 
Finally there, 30 minutes late!

The Running Day

ROUTE 197 (EASTBOURNE - FOOT OF BEACHY HEAD via Birling Gap) - 681, FDL681V

This is genuinely one of the most surprising things I've done at a running day: I joined the queue for buses just as the open top 197 was pulling in. Amazingly, I got a seat upstairs and in the open top section for the extremely fast and windy ride through the stunning countryside.
Beachy Head, almost 20 minutes early!
After a quick photo, we all re-boarded for the journey around the loop to Birling Gap and East Dean, but I requested the Foot of Beachy Head, as I'd already done the town before. The fields along the route seemed to be full of sheep...
Baa!
This journey was one of the best 50 minutes I've ever spent at a running day and I was kind of sad when the Foot of Beachy Head arrived, but the final stint is just like any other road.

LUNCH BREAK

The comparatively unremarkable Foot of Beachy Head was the perfect time for a quick lunch stop while watching the buses go by. Passing through were Eastbourne Corporation's AEC Regal AHC411, Sealink AEC Regent GJG739D and Leyland PD2 BJK672D, also of Eastbourne Corporation.
A sea of blue and yellow!
By now, I'd finished my lunch and I decided it was time to walk over to the stop and catch a bus. This happened to be another open-top Bristol VR, this time in the attractive livery of Southdown and heading back up to Beachy Head on a 97...


ROUTE 97 (FOOT OF BEACHY HEAD - BEACHY HEAD) - 617, UWV617S

A quick scan of the bus revealed a distinct lack of room on the top deck, so a downstairs seat would have to do.
No room up top!
The VR put in a sterling effort on the climb up to Beachy Head and managed to arrive about 10 minutes early, leaving a 20 minute wait for the return trip into Eastbourne Town Centre. However, the Sealink Regent was also there awaiting a trip back on the 97, and about to depart,...

ROUTE 97 (BEACHY HEAD - EASTBOURNE) 739, GJG739D

so I hopped on board for the run back to the Station.
Less than half load!
The Regent was very juddery upon leaving the bus stops, but once a good speed (around 5/10mph) had been reached, that stopped and it began running smoothly. The main problem with the 97 route is that, as I found the hard way, there are lots of bumps and potholes. This particular Regent does not like bumps and potholes. I do not like bumps and potholes. All in all, it was an entertaining, but was rather less than comfortable. This was the bus that had an unfortunate accident with a digger(?) at the East Grinstead running day in April, but the owner/s have done a wonderful job - you'd never have noticed where the scratched up panel was! A short break at Eastbourne Station gave me time to consult my timetable booklet and decide which route to take next...

TOWN TOUR (EASTBOURNE CIRCULAR) - 352, CAP229

I selected the 'Town Tour', as that was leaving in around 10 minutes and would give me time to get to the front of the queue. What surprised me was when this turned up...
Fancy seeing you here!
Departure time was reached and we jerked away from the bus stop for the start of a rather uneventful but lovely journey round the town. We sailed through Hampden Park at the grand speed of around 30mph before looping back into the town for the run along the seafront - arguably the best part of the running day. Then it was the already covered Foot of Beachy Head and Meads section before pulling back into the bus station, barely late at all. Not bad for a 78-year old bus! I wasn't sure what my next trip would be until I spotted something decidedly more modern that had been on my 'to travel on' list for a while...

ROUTE 97 (EASTBOURNE - PIER) - DT29, G29TGW

The 'conductor' was giving the last call for the 97 to Beachy Head, so I thought 'why not?' and hopped on board. It was another rather empty bus, which it would be at most rallies anyway - most people want RMs and RTs. I thought we were going to take the direct route when we left the Station. However, my suspicions were soon proved wrong as the 97 takes a rather circuitous route to the Pier via Princes Park.
Unusual seaside visitor!
I speedily requested the Pier with the 'ROUNDABOUT' crew and hopped off after the pleasant ride. I was hoping to see another bus almost immediately behind, but no such luck. Seaford & District's 124 came and went and it was about 15 minutes until a bus finally turned up...

TOWN TOUR (PIER - EASTBOURNE)  - XF3, CUV53C

The bus in question was a new one for me, XF3. As it rumbled up from Princes Park, I flagged it down and hopped on for the trip back to the Station.
Another London intruder!
Off we went for the leisurely trip around the Town, although I'd joined around half way. This was another relatively empty bus, with only around 10 people upstairs and barely any downstairs! The run to the Foot of Beachy Head was, as always, lovely then we turned for the run back through Meads again. This was about the 3rd or 4th time I'd done this this year alone; it was no bother, as we pulled back into the station after a short but sweet ride. What next? There was an RT on the 15 to Hailsham sitting at the stop - I wasn't too bothered by that and it was a long ride, so I passed and waited for the 93 to Polegate. The time came and RF600 pulled up displaying '93 Polegate'.
Not bothered!
I didn't want another hour on top of the 2 I'd already spent and the other 2 I was about to spend on that bus, so I decided to wait for the 15:28 96 to Pevensey. The time came and went. By now, I was beginning to worry that if I did catch this bus, I wouldn't make it back in time for the feeder back. I waited and waited...

ROUTE 6 (EASTBOURNE - PIER) - 272, BUF272C

...but no bus arrived to do the aforementioned Pevensey trip, so I decided to board Seaford & District's immaculate 'Queen Mary' on the 6 towards Princes Park instead.
Meads Photo stop!
Again, we wriggled our way through Meads, but I hadn't done it this way before. Unfortunately, this particular 'Queen Mary' didn't take bumps very well - not great on the very bad roads through the area. 272 struggled a little on the small inclines, but we made it to the Foot of Beachy Head with relatively little trouble before repeating the seafront route to the Pier. I alighted with the knowledge that I wouldn't have time to continue to Princes Park and back, as the feeder was going to leave for Purley in around half an hour and I needed to stock up on drinks...

FEEDER SERVICE (EASTBOURNE - PURLEY) - RF600, NLE600

Having walked through the High Street and purchased the drinks in question, I arrived back at the Bus Stop, where the RF was already loading up - I jumped on board and settled down into my seat straight away. We rumbled off out of Eastbourne after a delightful day on the buses. The route back was pretty much exactly the same as the one on the way there, so I had around 2 and 1/2 hours to kill. The trip wasn't all plain sailing though, as we had to stop for fuel around 30 minutes in and the bus overheated around half way through the journey, so a quick stop was required,
Not just the bus that's overheating!
but we were soon back on our way and arrived at Purley just in time for dinner, so I popped into the Wetherspoons for some sustenance.
From a place far, far away... Eastbourne!
Now I will say what seems to be fast becoming my catchphrase. The journey back was, as always, uneventful. The c2c was closed through Upminster, so I took the route via Romford. 

A huge well done to the organisers and crews for making it such an enjoyable day.

Happy travelling!

No comments:

Post a Comment